Wednesday 11 March 2009

When a support team can make things worse

I have just had a bad experience with a support team. My query has taken over a week to resolve, and even then it was I who found the answer. Each time I sent in a question, it was answered by a different person. None of them answered the question I had asked. Instead they said it was a programming question and I should learn programming, or that the answer was in the FAQ that they kindly attached to their reply. (Needless to say, I had already read the FAQ and found that it was factually incorrect). They 'helpfully' offered suggestions covering questions on a completely different topic, or simply said that their support did not cover my question.

If as a computer programmer with decades of experience in user support I struggle with their help desk (no I am not going to shame the company), then I shudder to think what less experienced users are feeling. Is it any wonder that companies suffer high rates of "churn" when they put inexperienced staff on the support centre.

Business managers will come to realise that they need to have technically competent staff.

I just hope it is a long time before I have to call them again, and the staff have had a modicum of training in that time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang on a minute. Isn't it your lack of technical knowledge that led you to call them? Pot, kettle?

So you're perfect at your job are you and can answer every question your colleagues ask you about your so called area of expertise? I thought not.

Benign writings: "Moan about others ineptness to deflect from thy own"

Godfrey said...

Nothing to do with my technical knowledge, or lack of it. Their publicity said a certain feature was available. Their FAQ even went so far as to say how to use it and gave an example of the code needed. I used their code, and found it would not work because a system utility program was not in the location they said it was.
Without a direct login, I could not give the command 'locate', so I asked their support team where the utility was located. In the end, I created my own version of locate that searched all common system folders and finally found the utility I required.
It was my ability that answered my own question when I found that their staff could not.

Anonymous said...

so you unnecessarily wasted company resources requesting support when you could work it out yourself and then took to moaning about it on the interweb?

Anonymous said...

when the instructions said "locate", did they mean look for rather than run a command called "locate"?

Godfrey said...

Everyone is busy, and so I reasonably asked the support team for an answer to a simple question. When they could not answer it, I ended up teaching them how to find the answer, spending a lot of my time in the process. I could have walked away from them, and taken my business elsewhere. But I didn't.