Thursday 2 August 2007

Back in the thick of it

Or should that be, back in the thick of *I.T.* ? I have been away from all things technical for the last two weeks - mostly walking, with a bit of surfing and swimming. Leave behind the computer, the phone and all that sort of thing. "What is the weather going to be" was answered by "are there clouds or blue sky on the horizon"!

Sometimes it pays to see just how dependent we have become on technology. It seems many of us could not function at all without it. Of course, there are those like myself whose work is based on computers, whether that be administering them or programming them. I am thinking more of how we seem to 'need' technology for entertainment. Gone are the days for most people (did they ever exist for some?) of gathering together to talk, tell stories, sing or dance, or enjoy walking in the countryside.

In a couple of weeks I am taking our family to an Open Air concert, complete with full orchestra, singers and a firework finale. We shall go with a picnic meal and (given that this is England in summer) raincoats.

I will 'escape' to the country whenever I can. How about you?

"The city is the home of the body but the country is the home of the soul" (Baha'i writings)

No comments: