Monday 20 August 2007

Marriage is like team work

One of our team left for his annual holiday the other day. Except that it is actually his wedding and honeymoon. As my wife and I have just celebrated our wedding anniversary, it put me to thinking about marriage in these modern times.

Our team had a monthly meeting and the team leader, when asked to nominate the best worker in the team, said "everyone". I had to think a bit about that, as we are so used to picking on one individual that we have elevated it to the "cult of the celebrity" and forgotten, in my view the need for true team working.

Marriage and team work are quite similar in many ways. Both take individuals who have different abilities and outlook on life and put them to working together. In each case, the individuals must learn to sacrifice part of themselves in order to achieve something greater. Otherwise the team will not survive. The common term today is "my partner", but married couples are partners too. In marriage, though, the partnership is made within a very public commitment.

No comments: