Saturday 13 September 2008

peace and justice

A comment to one of my earlier posts suggested that being peaceful meant that I would never fight terrorists or bring them to justice. What a strange notion.

The most important principle is justice, and that includes punishing those that do wrong as well as supporting those who are the victims. I would never condone terrorism.

If I see someone attack you in the street, then I should go to your assistance. If I ignore you and leave you to suffer, then that is injustice. However, we must be careful that our own actions are not excessive and themselves are the cause of further injustice. A community protecting itself is one thing, vigilantism is quite another.

"The best beloved of all things in My sight is justice" - Baha'i Writings.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you stick copper in the ground will it turn into gold?

Anonymous said...

So you think you're a bit tasty in a street fight then Godfrey, eh?

Anonymous said...

These suicide bombers really get my goat. What an evil way to kill innocent people, running screaming into a crowded place like madmen, blowing themselves and everyone else to bits. Whatever happened to good old-fashioned gentlemen terrorists like the IRA, who’d quietly pop a nail bomb under a pub table and leave without making a song and dance about it.

Anonymous said...

Hello Godfrey
So you are a bit handy with your fists then? You may want to find a suitable outlet for that then. Have you tried 'King of the ring'at Meadow Lane?
They do a discount for pensioners

Anonymous said...

"If I see someone attack you in the street, then I should go to your assistance."

You "should"? Does this mean you should but you won't? I need to know. What if someone does attack me - are you going to help or not?

Anonymous said...

I was once witness to an attack in Nottingham city centre on a Saturday lunchtime. This poor youth was thrashing around, screaming uncontollably for help whilst another young man stood behind him with an arm around his neck and the other around his waist.
Taken over with some kind of sense of outrage that this poor lad was getting no help, I stepped over and restrained the attacker in a handhold and ignored his abusive rants to let him go.
More fool me ! The police arrived and I was arrested for assault.
Not only that but the youth attacked had slipped into a coma.
I am now facing several criminal charges and my life has been turned upside down.
How was I to know that the 'victim' was epileptic and had swallowed his tongue during a fit and his 'attacker' was actually a friend trying to help ?