Friday 5 December 2008

reconnected and remembering times past

spent a little while off ill, and then lost my connection to the world. "Problem at the exchange" was all I could find out. Still I am now connected again, sharing thoughts with friends in emails, dealing with committee minutes and finances, and so on.

How we have come to rely on the internet! One of my colleagues the other day suggested we all swap details of all the jobs we have had in the past - just to see how things have changed. Indeed so. There was little knowledge of computers when I first started using them back in the late 60's when 8 kilobytes of memory was considered a large store. Now of course we measure in memory a million times larger! Back then we made careful use of every byte. I still have a collection of several hundred emails from about 20 years ago and the total size is less than 1 megabyte. And, yes, being all in plain text, I can still read every one of them.

No comments: