Wednesday 24 December 2008

search engine to the rescue

What a time for the boiler to break down! Heating we could get, but no hot water for the kitchen. The pressure was clearly on zero, even though there were no error lights. Phone call to the engineers elicited the fact that it would "cost at least sixty pounds, and more if we come out of hours. But we did show you how to do this yourselves when it was installed."
I looked in the user manual but could find no mention of how to increase the pressure.

So I went to the computer, opened a web browser and sent a request to my favourite search engine, looking for "condensing boiler low pressure". I was happy, but not surprised to find several references, one of which not only described the problem and how to fix it, but came complete with diagram and photograph as well.

Ten minutes later I had fixed my boiler for free. One up for internet search engines. Now, if only the engineer had simply told me how to do it.

No comments: