Saturday 28 June 2008

linux group support

Well, I finally have my digital camera working with my Linux laptop. A suggestion from one of the members in my local Linux User Group pointed me to a program called gphoto2, and on trying to install it I found that the library it uses was quite out of date and was not able to support the camera. Upgrading libgphoto2 to a more recent version and now I find that not only does gphoto2 work, but so does digiKam. I was able to copy all the pictures in little more than 1 minute.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the power of Linux for you. Legacy OS's like Windows would let you plug in your camera and use it straight away. Who needs simplicity like that?

Anonymous said...

Well done Godfrey. It is difficult for many people to negotiate these obstacles and to see the older generation can find solutions certainly gives hope to the rest of us.
Happy snapping.

Anonymous said...

Hello Godfrey
I like the blog. Can you enlighten me what is the advantage of Linux over Windows and what are its drawbacks?

Anonymous said...

The biggest drawback in the jungle is an elephants foreskin...FACT !

Anonymous said...

I think a giant anaconda shedding its skin is going to challenge any elephant in the drawback stakes