Monday 2 June 2008

remote access (2)

Well, her I am sitting at home again, with the same company laptop computer. Only this time I have been told to run a specific remote access program. Right, I do that and it asks me which machine I want to connect to. "Progress" I thought to myself. But alas no, as it just reported that there was no computer of that name on my network. No, it is on the network back at the office. So how to get a connection to the office LAN? I was told that it would "just work" and ask me for my identity number.
I'll have to phone them whilst I am at home and go through the steps. The laptop is clearly not configured for remote working, or else there is some other instruction that the support staff have forgotten to tell me. What we need is some clear documentation.

Why do I end up being the one experiencing problems and ending up writing the documentation myself? I wonder ....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would question why you were writing this when you were "working" from home?

Anonymous said...

Hang on, you're the one who experiences problems and so has to write the documentation? Why do you need to create any documentation at all if it's only you experiencing problems? If that's the case, who benefits from this documentation? Seems like you're wasting time with that.

Anonymous said...

I used to have remote access problems also.
Then I discovered this handy piece of kit from America called the arm-o-matic 2000. It's a rubber sleeve that sits handily on your existing sofa arm-rest and contains 3 pouches for TV viewing essentials such as popcorn, crisps and your remote control. There's even a beer can holder moulded into the top.
Now I can very easily reach my remote using the bare minimum of movement and effort.
It's no wonder the yanks are the most powerful nation on the planet !