Thursday 28 June 2007

Discussion and Consultation

On a training course in Software Testing, and the topic came round to how testing staff should handle the process of informing the developers of the faults that had been found.

Suggestions ranged from "Here, you idiot, look what I've found in your code" to a more diplomatic "I have found a problem here and I am not sure if I have done the wrong thing in my test or there is a problem in the code. Can you help me?"

We all agreed that the more diplomatic way was best, as irritating the developers would not be the way to get their cooperation. I fell to thinking at the lunch break that this is not limited to dealings between developers and testers, but is applicable to all human interactions. I read a book some years ago called "Consultation" by John Kolstoe where he dealt with this and other aspects.

If in a discussion, the people offering the suggestions then detach themselves from those ideas, they will not become offended when the ideas are challenged. In that way it should be possible to reach an agreement without anyone being upset. It is only by holding on to "my idea" that I would become annoyed if it was not accepted.

No comments: