Sunday 24 June 2007

What a busy life!

Progression and advancement at work - I have been asked to take on more responsibilities, joining a working group to develop and improve our software testing methods and systems, and to become a mentor for some of the less experienced staff.

Together with unpaid voluntary work designing membership systems, it has left me with little time spare this week.

There is a danger that I will neglect my family, but I am determined that should not happen, so for the last two nights we have removed the table cloth and been doing a 1500 piece jigsaw puzzle. Many years ago as a teacher I first became aware of 'latch key kids' whose parents were so busy making money that they had no time to share with their children.

We all live in a world where the pace of life seems to be getting faster and faster, yet the quality of life is not improving.

I am reminded of the poem by William Henry Davies -
"What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare. No time to stand beneath the boughs and stare as long as sheep or cows. ..."

No comments: