Saturday 9 June 2007

Recovery from disaster - part 1

Well, I finally decided to upgrade the operating system in my laptop computer today. First step was to archive off all the files I wanted to keep onto a few CDs, and then make a paper note of basic things like internet settings, firewall passwords, and access details for the important websites I visit regularly.

All in all that little lot took a couple of hours to complete. Why bother, you might ask? Most folks would just plough straight in and do the upgrade. A foolish action that I caution against, and events have proved me right. The upgrade failed just after it had wiped my hard disk!

So, I started my backup plan - get computer running on CD only, then use webmail to contact support desk and continue reading my messages, editing this blog and so on.

Just goes to show, planning is important in all things.

No comments: